Friday, April 2, 2010

Let the Games Begin

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.” Matthew 7:1-2 (ESV)

Most people, Christian, Atheist, or otherwise affiliated, know this verse and use it when it suits them. Christians tend to use it when they’ve done something deemed wrong by another Christian, Atheists use it when a Christian pushes his morality on them, and others use it for similar reasons and in similar ways. But the problem is that almost everyone stops with the first verse. “Judge not, that you be not judged.”

No one who uses this verse in the aforementioned ways wants to read on and see that it’s not a commandment not to judge, but a warning to the Judge. “For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.” The NASB says it this way, “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.”

Warning noted, and taken to heart, I choose to judge ideas according to the standard which I want my ideas judged. I choose to judge people according to the standard against which I shall someday be judged. I choose to submit myself to a single standard, and ask you to hold me up against the standard which I plan to set in this blog.

I learned what to think in high school, church, college, and at home. The difference between home and the other three is that my parents also tried to teach me how and why to think. I later learned from others much more experienced than I how to test ideas against tradition, scripture (both Holy Scriptures and classically accepted truths), and modern advances in both thought and technology.

This is my background as a Philosopher, plus or minus a few University courses in the subject.

I encourage you, reader, to challenge me and my ideas, my claims, and my core beliefs that shall seep out through the issues I choose to take up. In fact, I implore you to, for only through debating what is the Truth can we discover if our minds are shielding us from it through our self created delusions or if we have accepted such truth as a foundation of the world.

Let the Games Begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment